- The hosting organisation in South Africa must be registered as a non-profit organisation (NPO) with the Department for Social Development’s NPO Directorate, and as a public benefit organisation (PBO) with the South African Revenue Service (SARS).
- NPOs can have the form of a voluntary association, a trust or a registered non-profit company (NPC, previously called section 21 company).
- The foreigner may not receive a renumeration or other monetary compensation for their work from the South African NPO. Volunteers should therefore provide proof of funding from third-party sponsor (such as donors or international funding), or demonstrate sufficient private funds to sustain themselves in South Africa for the duration of the visa.
- The volunteer visa can be renewed from South Africa without limit, but does not allow the holder to apply for a change of status to a different visa type while in South Africa.
- Spouses and children can apply for matching dependant visas to accompany the main visa holder to South Africa.
- The volunteer visa does not allow the holder to apply for permanent residence status.