TOURIST GUIDE VISA
What is it?
Foreign tour leaders can apply for a long-term visitor’s visa for a period of up to 3 years.
- The applicant must have received a contractual offer of employment by a South African tour operator.
- The Tourism Act (Act 3 of 2014) requires all tourist guides to register with the National Department of Tourism and will receive an official Tourist Guide ID.
- In order to register, tourist guides must complete training through a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider and hold a valid first-aid certificate through a trainer registered with the Department of Labour.
- The tourist guide visa can be renewed from South Africa without limit, but does not allow the holder to apply for a change of status to a different visa type while in South Africa.
- Spouses and children can apply for matching dependant visas to accompany the main visa holder to South Africa
- The tourist guide visa does not allow the holder to apply for permanent residence status.
- The tourist guide visa is only required for assignments exceeding 3 months. Foreigners who will be visiting South Africa for a period not exceeding 3 months can instead apply for authorisation to conduct work on a visitor’s visa in terms of section 11(2) of the Immigration Act.