- The applicant must receive a passive (i.e. not work-derived) income of minimum R37.000 per month.
- This can either be a current right to pension, or possession of a combination of different assets realising returns in the required amount (e.g. rental income from property ownership, interest on capital and investments, dividends from stocks and company shares, etc.)
- Despite its name, the retired person’s visa is not limited to a particular age group, but available to all foreigners with sufficient passive income.
- The retired person’s visa can be used to reside in South Africa either seasonally or continuously.
- Spouses and children can apply for matching dependant visas to accompany the main visa holder to South Africa
- If the required passive income can be expected to be available for the rest of the foreigner’s life, the holder of a retired person’s visa can also apply for permanent residence status on the basis of retirement. (Link to PRP retired)