What is it?

Foreigners who receive a pension or other passive income that will allow them to sustain themselves in South Africa without pursuing gainful employment can apply for a retired person’s visa for South Africa. Such a visa will be issued for four years at a time.
The retired person’s visa is generally issued for purely residential purposes and does not allow the holder to work in South Africa. However, the Director-General may authorise the holder to conduct part-time or occasional work under terms and conditions as may be deemed fit under the circumstances.
  • The applicant must receive a passive (i.e. not work-derived) income of minimum R37.000 per month.
  • This can either be a current right to pension, or possession of a combination of different assets realising returns in the required amount (e.g. rental income from property ownership, interest on capital and investments, dividends from stocks and company shares, etc.)
  • Despite its name, the retired person’s visa is not limited to a particular age group, but available to all foreigners with sufficient passive income.
  • The retired person’s visa can be used to reside in South Africa either seasonally or continuously.
  • Spouses and children can apply for matching dependant visas to accompany the main visa holder to South Africa
  • If the required passive income can be expected to be available for the rest of the foreigner’s life, the holder of a retired person’s visa can also apply for permanent residence status on the basis of retirement. (Link to PRP retired)

Lets Start The Journey

We offer a FREE ASSESSMENT for all our clients.
Our team of German, French, Polish, Russian and South Africans, specialising in South Africa immigration, combined with our globally experienced commercial consultants, have the valuable skillset required to navigate you through the complex filed of South African immigration.
Free Assessment