Permanent Residence Permit
What is it?
Foreigners who have been in an unmarried life partnership with a South African citizen or permanent resident for at least 5 years can apply for permanent residence status.
- The applicant must have been in a life partnership with a South African citizen or permanent resident for at least 5 years.
- The couple must provide proof of their cohabitation, shared financial responsibilities and mutual financial support to each other.
- The couple must have signed a notarial agreement outlining the terms of their relationship.
- This type of permanent residence usually takes at least 24 months to be finalised.
- The permanent residence permit shall lapse if the holder fails to prove within two years of the permanent residence permit being issued that the good-faith relationship continues to exist.