Bring Your Foreign Partner to South Africa for Good

Not everyone meets their life partner in their country of residence. With the advancements in technology in recent years, the world has become smaller. Hopping on a plane to a different country is as easy as booking a flight and applying for a visitor visa and you never know who you're going to meet. But it gets a bit more complicated if you want to permanently move to a different country.

If you are a South African citizen or permanent residence holder and you want your foreign partner to join you, you'll have to apply for a spousal visa. As with any other visa application, various documents and supporting evidence would need to be submitted. Below are a few things to keep in mind before you apply for a spousal visa.

1. Same-sex marriage became legal in South Africa in November 2006, which means that spousal visas are available to both heterosexual couples and same-sex couples.

2. Spousal visas are issued for 24 to 36 months if you can prove that you are in a committed relationship. The renewal process should be initiated well before the expiry of the visa to avoid living and working in South Africa illegally.

3. You will have to prove that your relationship is older than two years in order to apply for a spousal visa. If however, the relationship is less than two years or viable proof can't be given, it is highly unlikely that the application will be approved.

4. Once you've been married for five years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.

Visas can be a complicated business. Don't risk the chance of a rejected application because of small errors. Instead, speak to the team here at Black Pen Immigration. We will determine your options based on your circumstances. You can also visit our website for more information.